Grimy Little Kids...  

Posted by JasonHarrison

Wow, it’s been over a month since my last post. Didn’t plan on things taking that long, but I wanted to wait until I thought I had something good to say. After you read this, you may think that I should have waited a little longer...

In the last month, I have re-connected with many friends that knew the person that I used to be. I found that Facebook is kind of nice, and it has opened my eyes to the transformations of many of my previous acquaintances. I also found that it is easy to get lost in the colossal world of social networking. If you are reading this now while trying to figure out the person that you used to know, you will see that I am a changed man.

If you are reading this now and feel that you know the person that I am today, you too will see that I am a changed man.

With that out of the way…

Easter Sunday – Probably the most important day for anyone that even aspires to be religious.

Religious – This word has started to leave a filmy, undesirable taste in my mouth lately. It is easy to get caught up in the web of legalistic, traditional practices that masquerade as sound spiritual guidance.

Salvation – I saw this on Saturday and Sunday of this past week. This is where this train of thought leaves the station. Hold on tight now, kiddies…the ride may get a little bumpy.

We served our community on Saturday morning. That statement makes me feel absolutely ecstatic. We cooked over 1,200 hotdogs, hid over 30,000 eggs, landed a helicopter in our church yard, and had numerous games and door-prizes - all for our community. It was nice to see smiles and hear cheers. It thrilled my soul to see my church filled to capacity with people that just needed a break from stress. It was no secret that many of our attendees weren’t from the side of the city that has hidden from stress of a bad economy. I saw the look of relief (the look that only comes from a burden being lifted) plastered across the faces of countless people streaming through the food lines. I looked as people just kept coming, an endless array of people and kids; families that jumped at the chance for a free lunch and an afternoon of fun. I heard words of gratitude from so many that it started to be overwhelming. I like that feeling.

I saw kids going through the line that were absolutely enamored with the spread of hotdogs, chips, and drinks. It was easy to see that many had not had that kind of treat in sometime…a hotdog, a bag of chips, and a cold soda. I could tell that many had not had that kind of choice in the selection of their treats in sometime…a grilled hotdog with a selection of condiments, three different kinds of chips, and four different choices of beverage. One group of siblings came up to say thanks for the "awesome lunch" as we were starting to clean up. The smallest followed his "thanks mister" with a small request. He could barely see over the edge of the table, but his words smacked me in the soul.

"Do you think I could have one more of those hotdogs, please sir?"

"Did you enjoy them?" I inquired...

"Yessir, they were yummy. I hadn't had one in a long time, and I sure would like another if you have extra." His words spilled out like they had been held in for quite a while. He looked over at his mother to make sure that he hadn't embarrassed her. I know that look, because I gave it when I was young. My exuberance usually got my words out too quick, and jeopardized my request too often. Her approving look was given, relieving both of us.

I tried to not tear up with him standing there. These were no special hotdogs. They were the cheap-o hotdogs with turkey, pork, and chicken. They were Oscar Mayer, but that was as special as it got. They had gotten a little cold from sitting out, and the buns had gotten a little stale from sitting in the sun. My legs ached from standing, and I burned my arms while cooking to start the day off. Not everything had gone according to plan, and I heard many complaints during the day. I have to say, though - none of that mattered at that frozen moment in my memory. The knot in my throat was the size of a basketball. I shook my head yes. and he glanced over at his mom for final approval.

The relief on her face was breathtaking. She motioned towards the rest of her brood - maybe 5 more little kids - in order to request extras for them as well. I thought she couldn't speak English, but I am just now realizing that she was probably in the same predicament that I was in.

I managed a head nod, and they cautiously proceeded to the table. They didn't rush or fall over one another in an attempt to secure an extra treat on this extra special day. They lined up and moved with respect, smiles covering the most room possible on their grimy little fun-stained faces. They all got their extra hotdog, and trotted off with a little more bounce than what they came with. I watched as they walked away, their bags stuffed to the brim with candy and gentle reminders of the true love of Christ. It was one of the most happy moments that I can remember, and one of the saddest at the same time.

My heart breaks now at the realization of what is in my fridge. I don’t care too much for that feeling.

The most heart-breaking realization that I’ve had regarding this past Easter weekend is that over 100 people came face-to-face with Jesus. Over 100 people looked in the face of hope, peace, love, grace, and mercy; just to name a few of His excellent character-qualities. Was this the culmination of weeks of planning, followed by hours and hours of dedication? Was this the result of an absolutely stunning worship service on Sunday? Maybe this was the reaction that resulted from LFA’s action of furthering the cause of Christ in our community. This is a great feeling, but it breaks my heart because it is only pushed with absolute fervor a few times every year. This is where I might hurt some feelings.

Why does it just happen on special events like Easter? Keep in mind that I am asking myself the same question. Would I be willing to dedicate just as much of myself to making this kind of event happen once each month? It would be impossible to cook that same amount of hotdogs and have those same activities every month, but I don’t think that God is asking for that. After all, Jesus fed a whole mess of people with some fish and a few pieces of bread. The intent is what I think He focuses on. I think He is asking us to invite our waiters and waitresses to church more often than the few weeks leading up to our Easter Egg-Stravaganza.

I would also like to see monthly events - smaller in scale if necessary - that minister to our community, but I don’t think that the responsibility should fall on the shoulders of our already stretched church staff. We have over 150 stunning volunteers that give all of themselves – plus a little extra – every time that an event is held. Can’t we make it happen more often?

For the masses that peruse these pages, I ask for your input. Would you be willing to volunteer on a monthly or bi-monthly basis if someone were to do the leg-work to set community outreach projects up? If so, leave a comment at the end of the post and let’s get things rolling.

I would love to see more grimy, fun stained faces...

This entry was posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 at Monday, April 13, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Dude I am right there with you. I dont think asking people to help out one saturday a month is to much. It would be good for all of us. We would be able to build relationship with people that we may not even see on sunday mornings or wednesday nights. If we all learn to love each other then it will be easier for us to reach out and love our neighbors and community. We're not gonna fill all the seats in our sanctuary sitting on our butts doing nothing.

April 13, 2009 at 9:09 PM

What a awesome blog man, I am overwhelmed by God is doing at LFA!

You are going to love Project Longview, we will be starting to share the vision this Sunday.

April 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM
Anita Sandifer  

Okay, so I am crying now. The face I keep seeing over and over is the smile on a little boy's face. He had Down's Syndrome but the biggest smile I have ever seen. I saw him standing in line with possibly his mother for food. I was handing out water and drinks. He wanted a hug. I received one from him. I saw him later he smiled that big smile again. I loved it. We all should be so happy to be who we are.
I loved every minute of Saturday. Tiredness and all. All of the thank you's we received. I was thanking those people for coming. It was magnificent.
I think this is the way to show people Jesus by ministering to their most basic needs.
I love your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 16, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics